Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ok, so I'm a total history nerd. I guess that's as good a first sentence to introduce myself as any. I can never understand why people don't like history because to me, it's just a bunch of stories that I get to listen to. I guess I never really wanted to give up the kindergarten institution of story time (if only I could manage to find a college equivalent of nap time for credit).

Unfortunately, this doesn't count
I know history can get boring for some people with monotonous descriptions of events and time periods, but in every history class there are always those interesting, funny, or exciting anecdotes from the past that always lighten the material. Basically, that's what this blog's gonna be devoted to, whenever I come across an anecdote that stands out to me I want to post it here.

Anyway, the first little story I've got is about Spain's Charles II (1661-1700). This guy was severely screwed up. I don't wanna go into too much detail about the history of 17th century Europe (I don't want you to leave already) but he came from the powerful Habsburgs who controlled the Holy Roman Empire out East, and Spain and all its possessions in the West. Now the Habsburgs were super cute, or at least they thought so, because they married each other more often than a family of Alabama pig farmers. This led to the development of a "Habsburg chin" which was really pointy and gross (thus negating their "super cuteness") among other defects. Well, poor Charles II got royally screwed (literally. And yeah, if you stop reading after that, I don't blame you).
Charles II, and remember, painters were paid to portray subjects well... I mean c'mon, you'd need a  paper bag to love that guy
The interesting part about this guy is how sad he must have been at family gatherings for Chanukah or birthdays or whatever. Instead of having 16 great great grandparents like [almost] everyone has, he had nine. That's straight up freaky, like definitely not ok. To further creep you out, I'll quote from Wikipedia here: "Joanna was two of Charles' 16 great-great-great-grandmothers, six of his 32 great-great-great-great-grandmothers, and six of his 64 great-great-great-great-great-grandmothers." When one person can occupy all those relations, you know something's seriously screwed up... kinda like his eyes.


LOOK AT THEM












No comments:

Post a Comment